Sunday, November 11, 2007

Eyes of a 5-year-old

Recently I was at a church in a room full of 5 and 6-year-olds who were praying. There was a large circle of kids of which the teacher went around, called out their name, and if they wanted to pray they would. The prayers went something like this...

"Please help my daddy to get enough rest."
"Please help my grandma to not get sick."
"Please help my fishy to live longer than the last one."

And then my favorite, the last little boy, so pure and innocent, yet painfully honest.

"Please help my mommy to stop argu'ing with my daddy because my daddy goes to work and then he gets money and then he gives it to my mommy and then she argu's with him about the money and help him to get the money back that he gives to my mommy and help them to stop argu'ing and help my mommy to not be so mad at my daddy and to get the money..."

It went on....for quite awhile.

It was surprising to me how honest kids are. They have no edit button. They pray about what is going on in their lives right then and there. I wonder what adult prayers would sound like if we were to pray what was on our hearts. Much different than the prayer that was prayed from the pulpit later on that morning I imagine. I wonder what would happen if we didn't pretend that everything was always fine on the outside, that we didn't question anything, that our family life at home was perfect, that we were the perfect Christian. What if we really let people know what was going on inside of us? Would people run away from us? Would it make them uncomfortable?

Just a thought. Raw, honest truth. If only we were all 5-year-olds. What would the world look like then?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. I like your honesty.